Saturday, March 10, 2012

How to Make Fabric Tape

Here is a tutorial on how I make my latest obsession... fabric tape. Super simple and a fun and quick project. You probably have a lot of the supplies you'll need right at home.

This is what you'll need:
1. Parchment Paper (Mine was 15" wide.)
2. Rotary Cutter
3. Rotary Cutting Mat and ruler. (I have old ones that I use for crafts, not for fabric.)
4. Paintbrush 2" wide
5. Mod Podge glue and sealer
6. Kraft Paper Tape (I got mine at my local Ace Hardware Store.)
7. Cotton Fabric (I used Fat Quarters that measure 18" x 21")


Begin by pressing your fabric. I used a couple of sprays of Best Press before I ironed to really make the fabric crisp.

Use a rotary cutter, ruler and mat to cut the fabric into 2" strips to match the width of the Kraft Tape. Using Fat Quarters makes the strips measure 2" x 18".  Cut 6 strips.


Cut a 19" length of parchment paper (it will measure 15" by 19") and tape six 18" strips of Kraft Tape side by side down the length of the paper. (The parchment paper sticks to the tape, but is easily peeled away when you are ready to use the tape.) Use a 2" paintbrush to apply a thin coat of Mod Podge to the surface of the Kraft Tape. (Thin coat is the operative word.)

Lay the fabric on the Mod Podge-covered tape and tap it down using your fingers. Use the edge of a credit card  to smooth the fabric if needed. Don't worry about the edges. They will be trimmed off after drying.

 
Let your strips dry overnight.

 
After drying, use the rotary cutter to trim a straight, clean edge on the tape. Then cut the tape into strips...you choose the width. I cut mine into 1/4" to 1" strips. Remember to keep the parchment paper on the back of the tape. When you are ready to use the tape, cut it into pieces with a pair of sharp scissors, peel away the backing and it's ready to use!

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. What a fun idea-love it! Great tutorial...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'll make some with Christmas fabric. Use it on handmade ornaments or something,

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.